Case study: Overpumping the Severn to manage flood risk
When damage to a retaining wall of the River Severn threatened a housing estate with flooding, a temporary pumping solution was needed while repairs were carried out
After the awful scenes of flooding that have plagued the UK over the past few months, the need to manage future flood risk diligently wherever possible has never been greater.
Heavy rains and high water levels have not only caused floods in many areas, but have also resulted in damage to locations not directly affected by the flooding, increasing the potential for more floods should periods of intense rainfall recur.
One such location is the Powys market town of Welshpool, where the damage to a retaining wall at a bend in the River Severn severely increased the flood risk to a nearby housing estate.
The Environment Agency was quick to recognise this risk and instruct Severn Trent to make urgent repairs, leading to the appointment of Abergavenny-based contractor, Alun Griffiths Civil Engineering & Construction to carry out the £½ million project.
In order to deliver the works, the Alun Griffiths team first had to create a safe working area, providing a dry environment that would enable operatives to complete the repairs and allow the mortar to dry. The company turned to pump hire specialist, Sykes Pumps, for a solution.
Explains Mike Davies from Alun Griffiths Contractors Ltd: “It was clear that we would have to overpump the river while the work was completed and we contacted Sykes Pumps because the company’s national depot network and experience of overpumping projects were critical to our needs.”
Sykes Pumps provided six 8” diesel-driven Super Wispaset 200 super silenced pumps, each with a maximum flow rate of 161 litres/second. The company delivered all six pumps to site, along with seven fuel cubes and a complex configuration of pipework totalling 420 metres, including both straight and flexible wire armoured lengths.
The pumps were set up and commissioned on site with the pipe work configured to overpump the river’sflow downstream, creating a dry working area for the Alun Griffiths team.
Comments Chris Graham from Sykes Pumps: “Not only have we been able to supply and configure pumps that will meet the operational needs of the project, but the quiet running of the pumps used at just 65dBA means that they won’t cause any nuisance noise for the nearby residents either.”
Alun Griffiths will run the pumps 24/7 while the project is ongoing as any water ingress during working hours presents a health & safety risk to the team and any water ingress out of hours could jeopardise the integrity of the completed work.
To ensure that all six pumps provide a consistently efficient pumping solution in such a demanding working environment, Sykes Pumps is sending an engineer to check and maintain the pumps every two days throughout the programme.
Chris Graham adds: “Our hire agreements usually include fortnightly maintenance visits but for this project the continuous running of the pumps and the business critical nature of the application led us to increase the level of engineering support.”
The over-pumping operation is expected to last a total of six weeks, with more than 900 litres of water per second pumped downstream day and night throughout the programme.
Mike Davies adds: “The repair work to the river embankment is critical to safeguarding Welshpool from flooding and a reliable over-pumping operation is integral to our ability to get the job done safely and quickly. Sykes Pumps has supported us with specification advice, delivery to site, setting up and ongoing maintenance, to ensure we keep the programme on track.”
- You can find out more about the role of pumps in mitigating the risks and effect of floods at The Pumping Station interactive exhibit, which is part of Utility Week Live, May 17-18 in Birmingham. Info: www.utilityweeklive.co.uk
- CPD Article: Optimal pump sumps for wastewater In this CPD article, we look at how pumping stations can be best designed to deal efficiently with solids and sediment in... Read More >
- Athletes flood risk reduced Thousands of Floodcheck valves are being installed in the Athletes Village in Stratford, east London to prevent flood damage Read More >
- Repair or replace? Make informed decisions There are a range of considerations for water industry engineers when choosing to repair or replace electrical and... Read More >
- Archimedes screw pumps boost infrastructure in Mansfield Archimedes screw pumps may work on a centuries-old design but they are still the most efficient way of lifting water over... Read More >
- Comment: Brexit and the pump industry Exiting the European Community and dismantling our ties to EU Laws, via the Government's introduction of the Great Repeal... Read More >
- Round Table: Pumps and energy Performance monitoring supported by technology and condition-based maintenance are two of the key factors in optimising... Read More >
- Getting to Grips with… dosing pumps Dosing pumps are mission critical appliances that must operate reliably and efficiently, as the success of processes such... Read More >
- Ending the nightmare of wet-wipe pump blockages An ingenious device developed in partnership with Scottish Water promises to reduce wastewater pump maintenance by... Read More >
- Supply Network Manager Location: Somerset Salary: £30,767 to £41,226 per annum Looking for your next career move in water supply? If so, we may have a fantastic... Read more here.
- Senior Analyst The Organisation The Water Industry Commission for Scotland is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage industry in Scotland. ... Read more here.
- Key Account Manager Key Account Manager Competitive Salary: £40,000+ DOE London and Thames Valley Knowledge, Skills & Experience Commercially astute with... Read more here.
- Contracts Manager Contracts Manager Castle Water Limited Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing... Read more here.
- Divisional Customer Services Director Castle Water is the leading independent water retailer in the UK, and one of the fastest growing utility supply companies, supplying services... Read more here.