Drilling and Tapping Open Day
With the Institute of Water's Drilling and Tapping Competition now in its 30th year, Anglian Water is hosting an open day in Lincoln next month for potential new competitors to try their hand at the skills involved
This year marks the 30th year of the Institute of Water Drilling and Tapping Competition! In celebration of this we re holding an open day at Anglian Water on the 17th November with the opportunity to come along, see how it s done and have a go yourself.
The event will begin with tea, coffee and Drilling and Tapping head judge, Malc Holmes, Anglian Water, giving an introduction to the competition including the history and a video of this year s event. This will be followed by a live demonstration of Drilling and Tapping from current UK and World Men s Champions, Jason Barratt and Lee Maddock, Anglian Water and 2016 UK Ladies Champions, Lesley and Kayleigh Barratt, Clancy Docwra.
Once you have seen the professionals in action there will be the opportunity for you to have a go yourself, guided by the teams and Malc!
Please note PPE is required: Jacket and boots as a minimum and additional hard hat, gloves and glasses if you plan on having a go.
The event is repeated between 11.30am " 13.30pm for those that prefer a later time slot.
What is Drilling and Tapping?
The competition is a time trial for teams of two and is open to anyone connected with the water industry. The aim is to drill and tap a 150mm diameter ductile iron main under available pressure, together with the installation of a simulated service connection in a safe, controlled and quick fashion. Skill, dexterity and speed are a prime requirement, but quality is paramount and time penalty points are added if there are any leaks or safety violations.
The 30th Annual Drilling and Tapping competition takes place on the 22nd " 23rd May 2018 as part of Utility Week Live in Birmingham. Visit www.drillingandtapping.co.uk to find out more.
- Yorkshire Water to finance plans through 'social bonds' Yorkshire Water could be the first in its sector to raise funds by use of a “social bond”, enabling ethical investors to... Read More >
- Water sector must prove its legitimacy, warns Ofwat boss The current scrutiny surrounding the legitimacy of the water sector should serve as a “wake-up call to even the hardest of... Read More >
- Tunnel construction complete on Scotland's biggest sewer The construction phase of the Shieldhall Tunnel - Scotland's biggest waste water tunnel, which will help tackle flooding... Read More >
- Utility Week Awards 11/12/2017 Utility Week s industry achievement awards are the highlight of the calendar. Once a year, we take the opportunity to recognise the companies and individuals forging the way ahead.
- Utility Week Energy Customer Conference 2018 18/01/2018 The Utility Week Energy Customer Conference is the only dedicated event for B2C and B2B customer professionals within energy retailers and networks.
- WWT Wastewater Conference and Exhibition 2018 30/01/2018 The WWT Wastewater 2018 Conference and Exhibition is a comprehensive single-day showcase of wastewater-specific case studies, innovation and thought-leadership all under one roof.
- WWT Water Northern Ireland Conference 2018 22/02/2018 Now in its 9th year, the WWT Water Northern Ireland Conference & Exhibition is the only event that brings all the major stakeholders together to address the unique pressures facing the industry.