Drilling and Tapping Open Day
With the Institute of Water's Drilling and Tapping Competition now in its 30th year, Anglian Water is hosting an open day in Lincoln next month for potential new competitors to try their hand at the skills involved
This year marks the 30th year of the Institute of Water Drilling and Tapping Competition! In celebration of this we re holding an open day at Anglian Water on the 17th November with the opportunity to come along, see how it s done and have a go yourself.
The event will begin with tea, coffee and Drilling and Tapping head judge, Malc Holmes, Anglian Water, giving an introduction to the competition including the history and a video of this year s event. This will be followed by a live demonstration of Drilling and Tapping from current UK and World Men s Champions, Jason Barratt and Lee Maddock, Anglian Water and 2016 UK Ladies Champions, Lesley and Kayleigh Barratt, Clancy Docwra.
Once you have seen the professionals in action there will be the opportunity for you to have a go yourself, guided by the teams and Malc!
Please note PPE is required: Jacket and boots as a minimum and additional hard hat, gloves and glasses if you plan on having a go.
The event is repeated between 11.30am " 13.30pm for those that prefer a later time slot.
What is Drilling and Tapping?
The competition is a time trial for teams of two and is open to anyone connected with the water industry. The aim is to drill and tap a 150mm diameter ductile iron main under available pressure, together with the installation of a simulated service connection in a safe, controlled and quick fashion. Skill, dexterity and speed are a prime requirement, but quality is paramount and time penalty points are added if there are any leaks or safety violations.
The 30th Annual Drilling and Tapping competition takes place on the 22nd " 23rd May 2018 as part of Utility Week Live in Birmingham. Visit www.drillingandtapping.co.uk to find out more.
- Spent carbon reactivated from drinking water facility Wigan-based company CPL Activated Carbons has successfully reactivated its first batch of ‘green list' spent carbon from a... Read More >
- Anglian appoints HBS New Energies for solar programme Anglian Water has appointed HBS New Energies to deliver a 30MWp solar programme across its water treatment sites, with the... Read More >
- United Utilities to introduce hosepipe ban United Utilities has announced that it will impose a Temporary Use Ban following the prolonged heatwave. Read More >
- WWT Sustainable Water Conference 18/09/2018 It is a crucial time for sustainability in water: the government has issued its 25 Year Environment Plan, Water Resource Management Plans are being submitted, and we are in the midst of PR19 strategy.
- WWT Water Scotland Conference 2018 05/10/2018 With SR21 approaching and environmental and social pressures increasing, it is a crucial time for the Scottish water sector to build resilience and drive innovation.
- Utility Week Congress 2018 09/10/2018 Utility Week Congress 2018 will bring together leaders from water, gas and electricity to provide you with strategic insight from the highest level.
- WWT Drinking Water Quality Conference 2018 08/11/2018 With both Brexit and AMP7 on the horizon, it is a crucial time for the UK water industry to build a resilient strategy to protect water quality for future generations.