Drilling and Tapping Open Day
With the Institute of Water's Drilling and Tapping Competition now in its 30th year, Anglian Water is hosting an open day in Lincoln next month for potential new competitors to try their hand at the skills involved
This year marks the 30th year of the Institute of Water Drilling and Tapping Competition! In celebration of this we re holding an open day at Anglian Water on the 17th November with the opportunity to come along, see how it s done and have a go yourself.
The event will begin with tea, coffee and Drilling and Tapping head judge, Malc Holmes, Anglian Water, giving an introduction to the competition including the history and a video of this year s event. This will be followed by a live demonstration of Drilling and Tapping from current UK and World Men s Champions, Jason Barratt and Lee Maddock, Anglian Water and 2016 UK Ladies Champions, Lesley and Kayleigh Barratt, Clancy Docwra.
Once you have seen the professionals in action there will be the opportunity for you to have a go yourself, guided by the teams and Malc!
Please note PPE is required: Jacket and boots as a minimum and additional hard hat, gloves and glasses if you plan on having a go.
The event is repeated between 11.30am " 13.30pm for those that prefer a later time slot.
What is Drilling and Tapping?
The competition is a time trial for teams of two and is open to anyone connected with the water industry. The aim is to drill and tap a 150mm diameter ductile iron main under available pressure, together with the installation of a simulated service connection in a safe, controlled and quick fashion. Skill, dexterity and speed are a prime requirement, but quality is paramount and time penalty points are added if there are any leaks or safety violations.
The 30th Annual Drilling and Tapping competition takes place on the 22nd " 23rd May 2018 as part of Utility Week Live in Birmingham. Visit www.drillingandtapping.co.uk to find out more.
- Ofgem's Rachel Fletcher is Ofwat's new chief executive Rachel Fletcher, senior partner for consumers and competition at Ofgem, will be the new chief executive of water regulator... Read More >
- Ofwat's final methodology pushes water firms to deliver more Water regulator Ofwat is challenging water companies in England and Wales to deliver more of what matters to customers in... Read More >
- NI Water and Irish Water collaborate on cross-border project NI Water and Irish Water are collaborating on a major €5.3M cross-border project to improve water quality in rivers and... Read More >
- WWT Water Northern Ireland Conference 2018 22/02/2018 Now in its 9th year, the WWT Water Northern Ireland Conference & Exhibition is the only event that brings all the major stakeholders together to address the unique pressures facing the industry.
- Utility Week Consumer Debt Conference 27/02/2018 Now in its 10th year, the Utility Week Consumer Debt Conference is the leading event for forward-thinking credit, debt, billing, collections, and customer service professionals within the energy and water sectors.
- WWT Smart Water Networks Conference 20/03/2018 The only dedicated event for senior water and wastewater professionals improving decision making through smart technologies and data solutions.
- Utility Week Procurement and Supply Chain Engagement Conference 2018 19/04/2018 Procurement professionals in utilities face pressure from all sides: to cut costs without compromising on outcomes; to make optimum use of massive advances in technology; and to develop more efficient and effective ways of partnering with their supply chains.