Drilling and Tapping Open Day
With the Institute of Water's Drilling and Tapping Competition now in its 30th year, Anglian Water is hosting an open day in Lincoln next month for potential new competitors to try their hand at the skills involved
This year marks the 30th year of the Institute of Water Drilling and Tapping Competition! In celebration of this we re holding an open day at Anglian Water on the 17th November with the opportunity to come along, see how it s done and have a go yourself.
The event will begin with tea, coffee and Drilling and Tapping head judge, Malc Holmes, Anglian Water, giving an introduction to the competition including the history and a video of this year s event. This will be followed by a live demonstration of Drilling and Tapping from current UK and World Men s Champions, Jason Barratt and Lee Maddock, Anglian Water and 2016 UK Ladies Champions, Lesley and Kayleigh Barratt, Clancy Docwra.
Once you have seen the professionals in action there will be the opportunity for you to have a go yourself, guided by the teams and Malc!
Please note PPE is required: Jacket and boots as a minimum and additional hard hat, gloves and glasses if you plan on having a go.
The event is repeated between 11.30am " 13.30pm for those that prefer a later time slot.
What is Drilling and Tapping?
The competition is a time trial for teams of two and is open to anyone connected with the water industry. The aim is to drill and tap a 150mm diameter ductile iron main under available pressure, together with the installation of a simulated service connection in a safe, controlled and quick fashion. Skill, dexterity and speed are a prime requirement, but quality is paramount and time penalty points are added if there are any leaks or safety violations.
The 30th Annual Drilling and Tapping competition takes place on the 22nd " 23rd May 2018 as part of Utility Week Live in Birmingham. Visit www.drillingandtapping.co.uk to find out more.
- Anglian Water reacts to Ofwat and Government challenges Anglian Water has announced moves to boost transparency and customer confidence in response to recent warnings to the... Read More >
- Devall to join Severn Trent from Northumbrian Severn Trent has appointed John Devall to lead the development of its long-term investment strategy. Read More >
- Anglian donates £50k after water pollution incident Anglian Water has agreed to pay £50,000 to an environmental charity after a manhole overflowed with black sludge and grey... Read More >
- WWT Water Industry Asset Management Conference 10/05/2018 Building on the success of the fifth annual event, the WWT Water Industry Asset Management Conference taking place on 10 May in Birmingham will continue to assess ways of driving further efficiency and resilience in the sector while maintaining and delivering the water industry s both physical and non-physical assets to meet with customer expectations.
- WWT Wales Water Conference 17/05/2018 The 5th annual WWT Wales Water Conference is the flagship annual gathering for all participants who contribute to, or benefit from, a profitable, sustainable and efficient Welsh Water sector.
- Utility Week Live 2018 22/05/2018 With disruptive new technologies and business models emerging, utilities must find new strategies and solutions to survive and thrive. Join us at Utility Week Live 2018 as we examine these changes, and explore the tech and product solutions transforming the way gas, water and electricity utilities do business. Book your free tickets today.
- WWT Water Industry Energy Conference 2018 12/06/2018 With tighter funding, regulatory pressure to do more with less, and rising customer expectations, water companies have more incentive than ever to identify commercial opportunities in energy in PR19.